Fire, Smoke & Soot - OH MY!
The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO Team Paparone can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
What You Can Do Until Help Arrives
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment.
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Call SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem at 215-245-4855 as soon as damage is caused. The quicker our team can get to the damage, the quicker we can get your home restored "Like it never even happened." We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week, including holidays!
5 Steps to Limit Mold Growth
Shower mold is a common household problem in any household but especially in Bucks County with the strange weather we get.
It is important to clean mold as soon as you find it. Luckily, there are many creative ways to get rid of it. By following a few simple steps, you may be able to remove the mold on your own:
1. Make a Cleaning Solution Bleach is not the only way to clean mold. There are less toxic methods you can try. White vinegar is known to remove mold, including black mold. Alternatively, Borax creates a natural insecticide and fungicide.
2. Coat the Area Once you have your cleaning solution in hand, use a spray bottle to apply it to the area you are cleaning. Spray it liberally and continue until there is a visible coating. Choosing an option that does not create toxic fumes will make this step more pleasant.
3. Let it Sit Give the cleaning agents a few minutes to work their magic. If you let it sit for a bit, you may have less scrubbing to do when you wipe the shower mold clean.
4. Wipe it Off While wearing gloves, use a cloth or sponge to remove the mold. It should wipe off fairly easily. Rinse the sponge or change cloths as needed.
5. Scrub it Clean If you find that you still have mold in your shower, you may need to create some extra friction to scrub it off. A scrubbing brush should do the trick. In order to avoid this step in the future, clean moldy areas when you first find them. The longer mold sits, the harder it can be to remove.
If your shower mold is hard to remove on your own, you can hire the help of a professional mold remediation company to fix the problem. They will work to return your home to normal and can identify any hidden sources of mold that may be lurking about.
6 Tips to Protect Your Home While on Vacation
Many people go on vacations during the summer months, leaving their properties unattended. SERVPRO is the #1 choice in restoration services to property owners, property managers, and vacation rental agencies. The need for routine inspections, maintenance, and restoration is very important to prevent any potential damage while the properties are vacant.
Here are some tips to make sure your property is taken care of while you’re relaxing!
- Secure doors and windows: Before leaving, double-check that all doors, windows, and entry points are securely locked. You don’t want water to make its way uninvited.
- Inform trustworthy neighbors or friends about your vacation plans. Provide them with your contact information and ask them to keep an eye on your property.
- Maintain your property's exterior: Before leaving, ensure that your property's exterior is well-maintained. Trim trees and bushes, mow the lawn, and remove any potential hazards or debris that could cause damage during your absence.
- Unplug non-essential appliances: To prevent electrical fires or power surges, unplug non-essential appliances, such as computers, TVs, and kitchen appliances. This also helps conserve energy while you're away.
- Check water sources: Turn off the main water supply or shut off individual water valves to prevent leaks or flooding. Consider installing leak detection devices that can alert you to any water leaks or pipe bursts.
- IF EMERGENCY OCCURS: Inform your security company and emergency contacts, such as SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem. We are available 24/7.
Vacation is supposed to be a relaxing getaway from reality. Performing these tips and tricks will help your family have a stress-free trip!
Tips to Keeping Your Pets Safe From House Fires
Saturday, July 15th is National Pet Fire Safety Day! It is important to include your furry family members into your emergency plan should a fire ever occur. You want to make sure they know their way out of the house during an emergency.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in the United States, an estimated 500,000 pets are affected by house fires annually, with a significant number suffering injuries or losing their lives. Here are some tips to keeping your pets safe during a fire emergency:
- Develop a clear and well-rehearsed evacuation plan that includes your pets. designate a meeting point outside where everyone, including your pets, can gather safely.
- Display pet alert window stickers:
- Ensure that your pets wear collars with identification tags at all times.
- Pets can accidentally knock over candles, lamps, or space heaters, causing fires.
- Consider installing pet-specific fire alarms or detectors that can detect the unique frequencies of a pet's distress call.
- Take steps to minimize the risk of fires in your home. Don't leave pets unattended near open flames or hot appliances.
- Include essential supplies for your pets in an emergency kit, such as food, water, medications, and copies of vaccination records. Keep this kit easily accessible in case of an evacuation.
- Inform neighbors or nearby friends:
- During a fire emergency, pets may become frightened and seek hiding spots. Be aware of their favorite hiding places and inform firefighters or rescue personnel about their likely locations.
Show some love to your pets and make sure they are ready to escape during or following an emergency. Call SERVPRO Team Paparone immediately following any fire damage restoration services. We are HERE TO HELP® 24/7.
Eight Elite Women of Bucks County
In honor of American Business Women's Day on September 22nd 2022, Buck Happening held an exclusive event to recognize eight elite women in the Bucks County community. These women have demonstrated grit and determination in all aspects of their career, families & especially their communities.
SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem was there to give a helping hand when they needed to hang their banner prior to the event. We also provided them with giveaway items for their swag bags for their attendees.
Some of the achievements of these women include:
- A life coach business for kids
- CEO of the Family Service Association
- President & CEO of United Way
- Author and content creator
- President of Bucks County Community College
- An art gallery owner
- Real Estate agent
- President and CEO of Rita’s Water Ice!
WOAH! A ton of accomplishments from these hardworking individuals! To read more about these amazing people, check out their features here!
SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem had a great time at the event filled with inspiring women and businesses! Thank you to La Chele in Newtown and to Bucks Happening for hosting this incredible event.
Homeowners and Renters Insurance Coverage
Do you live in Langhorne with renter’s insurance or homeowners insurance? Do you know what your insurance covers if you are hit with water damage?
No worries, SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem has your back. Our partnership with State Farm has allowed our professionals to understand the ins and outs of insurance. Here is what renter’s insurance covers - in short, it covers all the things you own.
Accidents - this includes objects damaging your property
Weather impacts - any damage resulting from a natural
Malicious mischief - this includes vandalism, theft, riots, & vehicle damage
Loss of use - if your home or property is damaged and uninhabitable after a covered loss, living accommodations and expenses that accrue will be covered by this type of insurance.
According to Forbes and the Insurance Information Institution, every year about one in 50 homeowners file water damage claims, accounting for 29% of all homeowners insurance claims. It is important to be aware of what your insurance covers and the steps to take in the event of water damage.
SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem takes pride in relieving stress from our customers and clients. Our professionals are equipped with the knowledge and resources to be the middle person between our business and their insurance claims.
What To Do Before, During and After Water Damage in Langhorne
We cannot control Mother Nature; when she hits Langhorne area, we need to make sure we are ready to go for whatever damage she leaves behind. We can’t control the weather but we can control what we do to prepare for the before, during and after water damage.
Here are the things you should do before, during and after water damage to make the remediation process easy for you.
- Make a list of all the things you own; furniture, clothing, valuables
- Fill out a Family Emergency Plan (list of all emergency contacts), or if you are a business owner/property owner - fill out our Emergency Ready Plan.
- Have a To-Go Bag that you can grab if you are rushing out in a hurry
- Be aware of what your insurance company covers when damage unexpectedly hits your home or business
- Turn off water valves and electricity circuits
- Call you insurance company to file a claim
- Stay away from any flood water whether it’s from a storm or a leaking pipe. You’re unfamiliar with where the water came from.
- Call your SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem, give them the insurance claim number. After communicating with the insurance company, our crews will be dispatched out to your home to assess the situation and discuss next steps.
- Depending on the damage will determine what happens after the damage is assessed by our professionals. We take pride in making sure the water damage remediation process is as smooth as possible for our customers.
Flooding is the most common U.S. natural disaster, and Pennsylvania has the highest flooding rate of any state.
If your home or business is suffering from water damage, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Society Hill now at 215-245-4855.
SERVPRO Host The First Responders College Bowl Game in December
It’s that time of year! Football season is upon us and SERVPRO hosts The First Responders College Bowl Game on December 27th in Dallas, Tx. SERVPRO takes pride in supporting their local first responders and SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem is proud to be a part of that initiative.
SERVPRO has been sponsoring the bowl game since 2014 and has given our franchises the opportunity to honor local first responders on a national level. Rick Isaacson, CEO of SERVPRO, said, “The SERVPRO First Responder Bowl is one way we celebrate these dedicated first responders and their families as the hometown heroes they are.”
Each franchise will nominate a local first responder to be considered for special recognition at this year's game. One nominee will be selected to experience an all-expenses-paid trip to the game where they will be presented with an award.
The SERVPRO First Responders Bowl also has a virtual Everyday Heroes Wall that honors these courageous people in our community. If you know someone who has committed to risking their lives every day, view the Everyday Heroes Wall page to submit a photo of your frontline hero!
Is Your Langhorne Business Emergency Ready?
Hallway flooded in apartment complex
ARE YOU READY FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS?
No one plans for disasters, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have too. Partnering with SERVPRO of LanghorneBensalem, ensures you’re ready for whatever happens to your business or commercial property. By preparing now, you demonstrate excellence in readiness planning by compiling a comprehensive information resource to use in case of a disaster.
WHY SERVPRO’S EMERGENCY READY PLAN?
By having an immediate plan, you minimize potential business downtime when disaster strikes. Here’s why SERVPRO’s ERP is the way to go!
- 50+ years in disaster recovery experience
- 2,000+ service provider locations
- This means there is a SERVPRO in your area within a two-hour distance
- 20,000+ SERVPRO Personnel
- No Retainer/Upfront Costs
- SERVPRO’s Emergency Ready Plan is completely free to utilize. We will come out to do a free assessment of your property while storing all the property information in one place.
- Largest Supply of Owned Equipment
Our Ready Plan is designed to be a start-up approach that provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services.
If you and your business are interested in learning more about our ERP profile, please contact our offices at 215-245-4855.
6 Steps to Starting Water Damage Remediation
Property damage doesn’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Langhorne & Bensalem provides emergency cleanup and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. No damage is too big or small for our team!
Why is immediate response time crucial?
The short answer: to keep an already bad situation from getting worse. In many cases an immediate response will help contain and minimize damage, thus reducing cleaning and restoration costs. The sooner the cleanup process starts, the better.
Here are a few immediate steps you can take to help speed up the process:
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible. Once you have filed a claim with your insurance company, SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem can take it from there to determine next steps.
- Call SERVPRO, who provides 24 hour, 7 days a week emergency service by having a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you.
- Document the damage by taking pictures or videos for the insurance claim.
- Shut off the water source so no further damage is created.
- Turn off circuit breakers.
- Don’t enter affected areas!
Use technology such as alarms and/or smart home monitoring systems that can be managed and monitored even when you aren’t home!